Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election results

Barack Obama takes the election by a landslide in the Electoral College. I saw this last night before I went to bed, and it didn't really sink in. My fiance was awash with relief and almost on the verge of tears. This morning, it really started to sink in. Watching the videos of people celebrating all around the country, waving American flags with pride earned from voting for change. I have yet to hear Obama's speech, but I'll read it at work.

I did see McCain's concession speech, and it was a good one. If he had run his campaign in that manner, the race might have been different. What was really scary is the crowd there. McCain did well to shut them up and remind them that Obama is their President now. He is the President for all of us. When I was younger, I didn't really accept that idea. Toys were thrown. But I'm glad that McCain gave the speech that he did.

Unfortunately, it looks like Prop 8 in California is going to pass. This is the amendment to their state constitution to explicitly prohibit gays from marrying. Hearing this news really takes some of the wind out of my sails. This is blatant discrimination and it ought not to exist. But it does. And the fight will go on and one day it will be vindicated.

No comments: